Thursday 17 March 2011

My St Paddy's Day

I know it's only six o'clock but I thought I would post all about my Granda's pigeons who have just had squabs (baby pigeons) and I have decided to upload the photos of them. There is two sets along with another one squab hatched, but there is more eggs still on their way to being pecked (I think another three are still to come)


Not many people know about pigeons or just see them as the germy bird on the street, but pigeons that are kept for racing (hobby only not cruel) are very timid and tame. They get used to their owner (my granda) and are happy enough to let him peek in and see the progress of their new baby.

I think I might call this one (beside the text) Paddy because it had only just hatched. They have to be fed by their parents for up to six weeks, which is different from a duck or a turkey baby because they can get up and feed themselves within an hour of hatching. I think the sqabs are rather cute, even if they are only just born.

Miracles even in a back garden of someone's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment