Wednesday 19 October 2011

Don't wear the big boots if you cant fill them

From my knowledge in my current marketing degree I have learnt that its essential for any company in any market to remember one thing about consumers: Quality service has to be carried through even after the exchange process.

Microsoft is now a company that I as a consumer would deem as using their "big boots" approach ie large market control over word programme to overlook the simple support system.

From my personal story I want to highlight that just because a company owes a lot of market share doesnt give them the right to use it to their advantage in order to "forget" about after care, or even simple thinking/strategies.

I purchased a unique one off product key for Home and Student 2010 office. I know that you can get a CD Rom but this is microsoft's new way to install office IF your computer is preloaded with a trail of the office system.

So my sony laptop, lets call it A... it froze then died (never my fault) but alas i used the office and installed it on A. Then Sony said they would replace it free of charge. I said "great!" then they said "just ring microsoft and explain what happened, they should realise you can reactivate it from their end because technically you bought something that was never consumed on the laptop" .... Cue a phonecall of anger.

Summarise Microsoft "support" which by the way is the lowest standard I have ever seen. The first issue was their phone numbers and support layout on their website is TOO complex. Have one number. Simple. You have to realise not everyone (even though I know computers) is a computer sav. The second issue was the call support. "I can give you support for the A laptop... but i cannot reactivate nor give u free support for computer B" (im shortening this because it does get rather confusing).... So off on a rage I went. Saying that you would think that big companies such as M, Sony, Dell etc etc would all get together and put a strategy in place to make sure there are certain solutions to issues that clearly happen... ie said issue of laptop breaking on me after i put the office programme on the computer. The man's reply: sorry for your problem and please call again if you need any more help. I was raging to say the least.

In summary: Sony computer broke... Sony said thats grand I will get a replacement... Microsoft said no we dont have a strategy in place for computers that break after our programme was downloaded and never used by the consumer.... RESULT? I have to fork out more money for ANOTHER disc/product key WHEN i didnt even get to use the first product key.

Big boots Microsoft... but do you have the ability to fill them successful? I think by the fact that you dont even have a clear address for a complimant department tells me you have no care in the world for after care support for your customers. IF i had a range of product choices AND didnt rely on the fact that all computers use your programme I WOULD NOT be buying another one. Maybe you should realise that if you want to be successful in the long run, you shouldnt just rely on the fact that people HAVE to buy your products, in order to create compatable office documents that are used in every office worldwide. MAYBE you should look at the longer bigger picture for company success. I doubt from my quick research that many of your customers WOULD be repeat purchasers if they had another product choice other than your office programme.

So yes. If I could I would BOYCOTT microsoft but they know, and I know that is not possible because of their large success with computer programming. I don't even want another product key/CD Rom because I am that angry.


No comments:

Post a Comment