Saturday 5 November 2011

Anyone out there?

Mix
It seems once again I have been away from my blog for a period of time. University in second year cries for more attention than I first thought it might or would. So I am going to show you my love in the form of... cake photos! I have made my Grandas birthday cake for his 84th birthday and decided to upload various stages (in photo format) to let you all drool over?

So my granda loves pigeons as he races them in competition (not those street pigeons but professional flying pigeons) anyway I wanted to include that theme in the cake. I also wanted to test my baking skills and make either a four or three layer cake with jam and buttercream between each layer. In the end I opted for three layers.

Finished cake mix
To begin with I had to think of the shape I wanted the cake to be in. I was thinkin more square to allow for the icing to fall and be moulded onto the cake easier in comparison to a circle style cake. I also have never really made a square celebration cake. I then thought about the idea of piping styles and cake mixture. I wanted a cake mixture I had successfully used in the past (therefore I knew the end result tasted fine) but I had to change the quantities successfully in order to make the mixture equal for two square tins. In the photo opposite is the simple unwhisken sponge mix of eggs,flour,baking powder and sugar.

Layering stage
Then I whisked the mix and added my soften butter to make the end raw mixture look like this... So off it went into the oven (I forgot to take a photo of that stage...opps) then once it had cooled I layer it with jam then buttercream (they sorted of rippled on their own without me wanting them to, but sure it all goes in and tastes the same?)
And TA DAAAAA the finished cake I made bigger so you could see it. I hope he likes it. Since my granny passed away I always feel this weird heart pain when I look at him, knowing he just misses my granny so much. True love is hard to come by!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment