Wednesday 18 January 2012

O-PIN-ion?

I hope you get the play on words from the title. I want to talk not only about "Pinterest" but also the current media happenings!

Well Pinterest is my new found love at the moment, I find it hard to describe the websites role other than "a virtual pinboard" (which it is of course) but then they seem to find it difficult to comprend that you can either
a) like a picture (that links you to the orginal recipe/dress/outfit/place/room etc)
b) "re-pin" or "pin it" using the buttons
c) comment on the "pin" e.g. "I like the look of that room"
d) all of the above...

Now Pinterest is widely known for being used as "dream weddings" so that brides and grooms (or even yet to be brides who just are wanting to plan their wedding in secret) can pin ideas about dresses, flowers, colours, "save the date" cards. I didn't realise how addictive Pinterest could get. I will be honest, I first just wanted a Pinterest account because I loved the cute font that it used. But no, when I finally got an invite to join Pinterest... well I was amazed by the huge selection of "pins".

I myself have five boards: Alice In Wonderland themed, cute quotes/animals, Food and Books. I did make a new board today about places I would love to escape to (cottages, streams etc) but I'm unsure whether that specific "board" will stay. Mhh *thinks some more*

In the real world however there has been a mass of media happenings! I want this noted: I may skip news or write longer about specific news but it doesn't make it any less worthy (the actual story).

The first topic is business related (but of course! I am a Marketer) I was so sad to see La Senza go into adminstration but the list seems to be slowly expanding. Within the last few months businesses such as Peacocks and Tesco's have been reporting terrible sale figures with gloomy prospects. The recession has definitely got its second wind and is now tearing through both the unemployment/job benefit rate and the amount of businesses that are finding it hard to say afloat in these times.

I feel sorry for these shops, because at their prime they were once great shops with great quality goods to offer, yet the price sensitive customer has now become so price orientated and focus that these shops could lose their orginal objective: good quality and good customer care/support.

We now face a economy that has continual "closing down sales" or all year long sales, in which goods are becoming increasily poor in both quality and worth.

In terms of other news stories the most recent one would be both the Cruise ship and also the SOPA blackout.

Costa Concordia-Cruise Ship Disaster
sopa-stop-online-piracy-act

CCCSD: I don't have a opinion on this, other than I respect the divers completely. the videos shown on the media channels just give us (the public) a fraction of a glimspe into how hard that must be to go through a half sunk ship looking for bodies. Knowing that a body could be in the next door, whilst all the while not being able to see in front of your face... I don't think however the captain should be allowed at any stage to get away with his immediate wrong doings. I did not know that it was a crime to "abandon ship" as a Captain, but then again I am not on boats that much. I do however think that the captain did something right: he moved the boat (once it hit the rocks) nearer the shoreline to make it easier for people to be rescued. I DON'T think its the modern Titanic and in some ways, should never be compared to Titanic or any other similar tragic shipping event.

SSOPA: I think by watching an animated video about the concept of SOPA and the idea that the internet will be soon in the hands of government bodies. I have read up on this story line and to be honest I fully agree with Wikipedia when Mr. Wales (co-founder of Wikipedia) said this on BBC News (online)
We think it is a global issue because the US has such a strong impact on the internet.
"Many of the supporters of this bill portray those of us who are against it as being somehow pro-piracy. That is absolutely false. We are pro-freedom of speech. Many of us, including me personally, are quite anti-piracy. I just want to fight piracy in a way that will really work and make a real difference." (Mr. Wales, co-founder of Wikipedia)
I couldn't believe it after reading up on this. Correct me if I am wrong, but who decided that it was the government duty to kill free speech, to ask for money, to be given control of a digital form of communication?! No! I am backing the people of Wikipedia and other sites that think the US should take the Anti-piracy bill off the table!

Well folks that me for another while. I have nothing really more to add. Byeeeeee

No comments:

Post a Comment